History

History of the Harvey Shire

Early European settlement in the Shire of Harvey dates back to the 1840’s when the first settlers arrived at Australind. At about the same time settlers were also moving southwards from Pinjarra to the Harvey River. The Harvey district was considered a superior choice with the abundance of streams, a good climate and rich soils.

By the late 1890’s the Harvey River area had become renowned for its orchards while the Australind hinterland was acknowledged as a mixed farming and dairying area. In 1845 a bridge was built over the Brunswick River giving rural settlers easier access to the settlement of Australind. Timber was also recognised as a major industry in the Shire by the turn of the century.

Harvey eventually outgrew Brunswick with the 1934 completion of the Harvey River diversion which enabled thousands of hectares of land, previously prone to winter flooding, to be cultivated. Harvey is home to three dams, Harvey Dam, Stirling Dam and Logue Brook Dam - Lake Brockman. The Harvey Weir was constructed and officially opened in 1916 and some time later, the Stirling Dam was completed by 1947. The present Harvey Dam which replaced the Harvey Weir was officially opened in 2002.

A major irrigation system was developed making Harvey an important agricultural centre for dairying, beef and horticultural pursuits which has continued into the present day. Citrus fruit, table and wine grapes, and agricultural products are continually developing within the Shire.

The period between, 1896 to 1905 should be regarded as the first period of settlement of orchards in Harvey with thirty-nine projects being commenced. These settlers purchased 76 orchard lots, an average of two lots per settler. Each lot consisted of approximately 10 acres. By 1906 Harvey must have presented an attractive sight with 15 or more orchards, planted before 1900 producing good crops of oranges, their trees having reaching maturity at seven years of growth. It was during 1906 that an expert on packing fruit for market arrived in the town, became an orchardist and later a manager of the orange packing shed. Today a revitalised orchard industry exists in much the same area as taken up by the first settlers. It is supported by a world class juice factory that produces export quality Harvey orange juice.

Simcoa Operations is a fully integrated silicon smelting operation located in the Kemerton Industrial Park. Bauxite and mineral sands mining developed as significant industries within a controlled environment, eventuating in the Kemerton Industrial Park, within the Shire of Harvey. Simcoa Operations is the only plant in Australia where world class silicon is manufactured. These factors of Simcoa and Alcoa together with the management of native and plantation forests have made the Shire one of the fastest growing country localities and an interesting district for tourists to visit.

Alcoa......Australia's aluminium since 1963 has been a vital part of the West Australian community and economy. Alcoa is the global leader in alumina production and Australia's sixth largest resource sector exporter.  Millennium Inorganic Chemicals / Cristal Global is the second largest titanium dioxide producer in the world and employees approximately 3,700 people worldwide. Harvey Fresh is WA's largest distributor of fresh produce. Brunswick Diesels is Australia's biggest diesel engine converting company. The Harvey region has something to satisfy everyone.

Being such a diverse Shire with several population centre's and major industries of agriculture, mining and timber, tourism has emerged as a new growth industry. With new subdivisions in progress throughout the district and continuous further industrial developments the Shire of Harvey is advancing dramatically, ready to take on the challenge of the next 100 years.

Harvey District Logo and Slogan

Project Coordinators: The Harvey District Tourist Bureau Inc. in conjunction with the Harvey Shire Council. Sponsored by the Shire of Harvey. Launched Thursday 20/5/1999. To provide a dynamic, modern and positive promotional logo and slogan to represent the Harvey Shire District. GRAPHIC DESIGNER; Denise Mercer.

SLOGAN: 'A Breath of Fresh Air.'
The Harvey District has a sense of freshness about it. Fresh produce, fresh water, a clean and green landscape abounding with natures goodness. A unique district which offers a genuine friendly country attitude and a fresh, dynamic and invigorating lifestyle. A place to breathe deep and relax, surrounded by the best that nature has to offer.

LOGO:
At first glance the image is of a gumleaf, representative of forests, nature and fresh air. Within the leaf is a sweeping landscape, flowing river, rolling hills, pastures, crisp produce and a tantalizing glimpse of coastline. The enduring sun sits on the horizon...is it rising over the hills or setting over the ocean? Take a different view and discover a hidden gumleaf - like the Harvey Shire District our logo is fresh, dynamic and full of wonderful surprises!

May Gibbs

Arrived in Australia aboard the ship S.S Hesperus in 1881, at the age of four. May's parents Herbert and Cecie Gibbs, has left England to try their hand at farming in Australia. After landing in Adelaide, the young family settled on land one hundred kilometres to the north west of the city, only to be driven back to Adelaide by drought.

Herbert and his brother George formed a partnership with Dr. Henry Harvey and John Young and took up land on the 'Harvey Estate' in Western Australia. Herbert, with son Bertie and brother George sailed to 'The Harvey' in 1885, leaving Cecie to follow with May and Ivan. The family settled into life at "The Homestead" on the fertile banks of the Harvey River and stayed there for two years.

The Homestead was built when the Estate WA was owned by Governor James Stirling - sometime in the early to mid 1800's. Features of the cottage were its hexagonal shaped paving blocks and Sheoak shingled roof, fruit trees surrounding the cottage. May, along with brother Bertie and Ivan would take long walks through the bush, turning over stones, examining flowers and bird nests, and swimming in the river pools. At the age of nine, May was given a pony which she rode around the district, visiting the neighbours farms. As there was no school in the area, the children were given lessons by their own mother at home. May displayed an early talent for drawing and was encouraged by her father, himself a talented artist. In later years May described her time in Harvey as "the two happiest years" of her life.

In 1887, after struggling to run the farm at a profit, the Gibbs family moved to Perth. May's Uncle George and new wife Ellen decided to stay on in Harvey. May spent many holidays at her Uncle George's house - visiting her younger cousins and wandering through the bush. May continued to visit Harvey for many years, entertaining her young cousins with stories and caricatures.

May went on to become one of Australia's best known and most loved authors and her illustrations have charmed children for many generations. It is believed that May Gibbs drew much of her inspiration for her stories and illustrations from her experiences in Harvey. The Harvey Visitor Centre houses a May Gibbs Display of Snugglepot & Cuddlepie.

Stirling Cottage

In the mid 1800’s, the first Governor of Western Australia, Governor Sir James Stirling, selected 12,800 acres of fertile land in Harvey and called it the Harvey River Settlement. The only improvement he made to the land was to build a cottage, known as “The Hut”. Stirling's manager, Thomas Chapman, his wife Selina and baby daughter Elizabeth, moved into The Hut in June 1850 and in 1859 -1860 was succeeded by John Giblett. This cottage, on the banks of the tranquil Harvey River, featured a shingled roof and ‘pit-sawn’ Jarrah walls with hexagonal-shaped paving blocks fitted together to form firm flooring. One of the original paving blocks can be seen in the Cottage history room today. Stirling Cottage is modeled on a homestead built by the first Governor of Western Australia, Governor James Stirling, on his Harvey Estate in the mid 1800’s.

The Old

The original cottage was also home to May Gibbs, creator of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, in 1885. May Gibbs books and illustrations are part of Australian culture, children growing up with her stories. Her adventures are about 'gumnut babies', little bush babies with bush flowers on their heads and very cute bottoms! It is believed that May Gibbs drew much of her inspiration for her stories and illustrations from her experiences in Harvey.

The original cottage was surrounded by gardens and fruit trees, and had a cellar which was often flooded in winter. A blacksmiths workshop and stables were added. Over the years, the cottage fell into disrepair, and by the end of the 1960’s only a few bricks and stones remained. A lone pine tree marked the site of the Cottage, but this was blown down during a storm in 1985.

The New

On Sunday 9th October 1994, the replica Stirling Cottage was open to the public. Modelled on the original ‘Stirling Cottage', this building, built by Pannett Homes, features the shingled roof, Jarrah walls and hexagonal paving blocks of the original. A balcony has been added overlooking the tranquil Harvey River.

The 1994 version of the cottage is located 500m downstream from the original site and features extensive landscaped Heritage Gardens, a 19th century style fountain, a mini orchard, enchanting secret garden and gift shop, a room on local history and ’Stirling Cottage’ tearooms. Enjoy a light lunch or afternoon tea on the balcony overlooking the peaceful river, or in winter sit by the cozy log fire and enjoy hearty homemade soup.

Public toilets are in a separate building called ’The Stables’. Disabled facilities are located in the Harvey Visitor Centre (next to the Cottage). Please feel free to wander around and enjoy your visit to ’Stirling Cottage’.

Harvey Heritage Trail

From the 1830's the Harvey area was known as "Korijekup" the Aboriginal word meaning "The place of the Red Tailed Black Cockatoo." Early explorers named the Harvey River and by the 1890's the Korijekup Estate became known as Harvey Estate. As the township took shape near the turn of the century, it became known as Harvey.

1. Replica of Stirling Cottage
A replica of a cottage built about the 1850's on land owned by Sir James Stirling near Harvey River about 500m upstream from this site. The original cottage was lived in by May Gibbs, creator of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, during the 1880's . Features of the original cottage were hexagonal paving blocks fitted together as flooring 'pit sawn' Jarrah walls and a Sheoak shingled roof all recreated in this replica of Stirling's Cottage.

2. Internment Camp #11 Memorial Shrine: Classified by the National Trust
The Shrine was built in 1941 by Italian internees held at the Harvey Interment Camp during WWII. The camp held up to 1000 internees and 200 soldiers. For 50 years the Shrine stood in an open paddock. In 1992 a chapel was built around the Shrine to protect it from the elements. 123 German P.O.W seamen survivors of the HSK Kormoran around the age of 20 and 818 Italian men were interned in the camp. The camp closed in 1942 due to security concerns. Amidst the horrors and misunderstandings of a World War, these men were representing both sides of the conflict while living in peace and harmony. Hut: Each Hut held 30 internees 1940 - 1942. Prison: The original prison cells for the camp. The Harvey Visitor Centre holds the key to the Internment Camp Memorial Shrine if you would like to look inside the memorial. Read more below.

3. Masonic Hall: Classified by the Nation Trust
The rear section was built in 1914 with the front part of the building with its unusual architecture added in 1934.

4. Snells Park
Mr. Alf Snell whose efforts the Harvey Town gardens were first formed originally gifted Snell Park to the Shire in 1936. Since then it has grown and changed with each new gardener or town caretaker. Today it boasts a number of old roses, gazebo, hundreds of bulbs, 2 arches and brightly coloured garden beds. Snell park is widely used by the community and is a relaxing spot to eat your lunch or a family gathering. Toilets available.

5. C.W.A Room
(Country Women's Association) Built in 1933. Situated in Snells Park. In the 1950's a group of women would congregate in this small Room. The club was known as the Virginian's Club.

6. Harvey House
This brick shop as built in Hayward Street during 1913. Harvey House served the town as tearooms until the 1940's. Since then it has been a Newsagency.

7. Westpac Bank: Classified by the National Trust
Built in 1938 as the Bank of New South Wales. In more recent years it has been modernised and renamed the Westpac Bank in 1982.

8. Cafe On Uduc and Residence
Built in 1932 as Feazey's Bakery and became Campbell's Bakery, later it became the towns tearooms, Part of the residence has been beautifully restored as a restaurant.

9. Harvey Council Chambers: Classified by the National Trust.
This Art Deco style building was added onto the Town Hall in 1935 as the Council Chambers.

10. Harvey Town Hall: Classified by the National Trust
The main hall was built in 1914 with money fundraised by the people of Harvey. Soon afterwards WWII broke out and the Drill Hall was added in 1915 as a military hall. The main hall was extended in 1935 with the addition of the present stage.

11. Church of England Hall
The timber church of England was built in 1906 on Young Street north of the Harvey Primary School.

12. Uniting Church Hall
The timber building was built as the Methodist Church in 1924.

13. War Memorial Library
Built in 1920 as a War Memorial to the Harvey soldiers killed in WA.

14. Harvey Grandstand and Entrance Gates
Constructed in 1936 by J. Johnston for one thousand four hundred and twenty eight pounds.. The grandstand was built for the purpose of viewing the Harvey Trots, which were first held under electric lights the same year. In 2004, the Entrance was named after Jim Rake who worked tirelessly as a volunteer for the Harvey Community.

15. Roman Catholic Church
Built in 1932 and used as a church until a new (Our Lady of the Immigrants) Roman Catholic Church was built in 1972. The old church is still in its original condition with timber floor and dado.

16. R.S.L. Hall
Built in 1938 showing a different type of architecture for that era at the front of the building. The interior is still in its original condition with timber floor and dado.

17. Harvey Primary School
The small timber building on the east end of the long brick block was built in 1901. The first red brick classroom was added on in 1909, with further additions of a brick classroom and teacher's room in 1927, and another classroom in 1934. The old school served Harvey as classrooms for generations. It is now a Pre-School centre.

18. Railway Station
The railway line from Perth to Bunbury was completed in 1893 and soon afterwards the Railway Station was built. In 1936 the Railway Station was extended and the building improved with the addition of rustic weatherboards to the exterior and the roof tiled. For many years the Railway Station was the central point of activity for the district. By 1987, with the introduction of the modern 'Australind' train, the Railway Station was no longer needed and closed. The Station now houses the Harvey Museum and is the only Railway Station remaining in the Shire of Harvey. The Harvey Railway Station Museum is open to the public on the 1st, 3rd and 5th Sunday of every month, 2pm - 4pm. Ph: 9729 1685

19. The Old Post Office
Now the S.E.S. building, built in 1923 and used as the Post Office until 1957.

20. Harvey Hotel
In October 1898, Alexander Thomas Smith opened Harvey's first hotel, which was built behind the site of the present hotel currently known as the Harvey Hotel. It was a single storey wooden building and named the Korijekup Hotel. A brick Korijekup Hotel was built about 1907 and after the second storey was added (about 1915), it became known as the  Harvey Hotel Motel. The building is a large Federation style, two storey brick building with corrugated iron hip roof vented at the peaks. An intersecting half timbered gable from the middle of the roof and another over the corner facing the road intersection. Both floors have a full verandah running the length of the Harper Street frontage. These verandahs are supported on full height timber posts, which in the case of the upper floor are linked by an open railed balustrade punctuated with panel balusters, decorated with a cut-out 'leaf' shape (as mentioned above). The posts also have decorative grooved tops and a flat arched beam between each pair. The hotel interior features high ceilings, Jarrah paneled walls and a central staircase. Leadlight windows featuring an Art Deco geometric pattern and 1930s style furnishings indicate a revamping during the Inter War period. There is also a large stone fireplace and several brick chimneys with enlarged corbelled heads featuring four terracotta chimney pots on each.

21. Harvey River Diversion
1931 - 1935 (20km). A Government Scheme during the depression employed 2,500 men to dig the diversion to divert water directly to the sea as the old Harvey River flooded over land as it wound its way to its natural outlet in the estuary near Mandurah. The clay section of the Diversion (first 10km) was dug by a coal fired drag line. The second section (second 10kms) was dug by hand. 2,500 men used shovels, wheelbarrows and horse and carts removed the sand to form the man made river.

22. Commemorative Plaques
a) In memory of thousands of men who worked on the Harvey River Diversion.
b) A plaque commemoration Sir James Stirling who explored and took possession of land in the locality of Harvey in 1837.

Harvey Heritage Trail brochures are available from the Harvey Visitor Centre.

Internment Camp Memorial Shrine

The Internment Camp Memorial Shrine is just a 200m walk, north of the Harvey Visitor Centre (Shrine entry key is available from the Centre).

At the beginning of WWII Mussolini and Hitler joined forces and declared war on Great Britain and France. As a result all German and Italian migrants living in the allied countries were categorised as enemies. They were subsequently interned in camps. One of these camps was situated in Harvey, which was known as HARVEY CAMP NO 11, with about 1,000 Internees. One of the prisoners instigated the construction of an altar made of stone, depicting their Catholic faith. This Shrine still stands today and was enclosed in a chapel in 1992. It is believed to be the only roadside shrine of its kind in Western Australia. Housed in the chapel are several sculptures and an “Australia Remembers” static display. The Internment Camp Memorial Shrine is a popular tourist attraction depicting an important part of Harvey History.

The Shrine

An original shrine or altar that was built by the Italian Internees during WWII.
A shelter-cum-chapel was built around it, but the Shrine itself has never been moved. This Shrine is now listed as a National Trust Monument and is the only roadside Shrine of its kind in Australia. It is all that remains of Harvey Camp No.11 Interment Camp which operated from September 1940 to April 1942. It was built by the internees and was originally conceived as a small chapel which was intended to be illuminated at night.

   Project Designer: Giuseppe Raneri,
   Stonemason: Giovanni Boschetti,
   Construction Assistant: Gaetano Tomba.

Materials were gathered from within the barbed wire enclosure and consisted of local field sandstone and selected granite. Semi-circular in form with two low walls supporting the well formed curve of its GOTHIC ARCH, it has its main feature a NICHE set into a high wall. This shelter's a crucifix fixed into a three-tiered, ziggurat shaped pedestal. A steeply pitched cement frieze was engraved upon it with the letters IHS. The symbolism of the inscriptions is complex:

Look for these symbols;
    IHS: Jesus (Greek)
    A.XX: Annon 20 (Latin)
The building was constructed in 1940, the 20th year of Fascism in Italy.
I.H.S.V: In HOC Signo Vinces (Latin) Translates as "In this sign we will conquer." A historical reference, to Constantine's vision of a cross in 312 AD which influenced him into becoming a Christian.
LASCIANO: (Italian) Built to commemorate the Italian Internees at Harvey Camp No.11 HARVEY.

Personal Experience
Luigi Camporeale, a former Civil Internee, has written of his experience of this time.
"I was a fisherman and I was 400 miles north of Fremantle and 100 miles north of Geraldton, when war was declared. After twelve days travelling by boat we arrived at Geraldton. I didn't have time to anchor the boat before police came aboard to tell me and the crew that we had only two days of freedom left before we had to turn ourselves in to them."

We were put in prison until all those selected for internment from surrounding districts has been gathered together. We were then taken by train to Fremantle. We were kept in prison there for four days or five days, and then on to Rottnest, This was temporary, because it was too small for the 1400 Internees and there was not enough accommodation for all of us. Our misfortune was that winter arrived. It was a really bad season, raining every day, cold and with strong winds but we didn't complain.. They treated us very well. We were accommodated in tents of eight, six and four people. In November, 1940, we were moved again. At 10.00 am we arrived in Fremantle, and a train was ready to take us to Harvey, with Australian soldiers that were posted there. We arrived in the dark and they put us temporarily in big huts because camp was not ready.

Altogether 1,200 men arrived in Harvey, 200 of them being Army Personnel, while the remainder of the Internees were sent to South Australia and the Northern Territory. In the Harvey Camp, known as Camp No.11, the food and water were in abundance, and of excellent quality. Some of the men had relatives in Harvey, who were permitted to visit and bring gifts of food. However, they had to remain outside the enclosing fence, so that no personal contact was possible. During their presence there, over two years, the Internees were not idle, but, neither were they forced to work. The surrounding bush was cleared, so that logs were made available for use by outside Government authorities. Three large market gardens were established, and the resulting vegetable produce was sent to Western Australia Military Camps. Shoemakers and carpenters were kept busy, as were the blacksmiths since both men and horses needed to be shod.

Transfer of Internees
Because the lights which illuminated the Camp during the night were clearly visible from the ocean, it was deemed necessary to transfer the Internees further inland. Thus Camp No.11 was vacated by the Internees in 1942, but was used for training purposes for some time after. Before the Army Authorities closed the Camp it was finally dismantled. An auction was held with many saleable objects, together with buildings and equipment went under the hammer. At least two of the huts were acquired by the Agriculture School and are still in use today. The detention cells are now being used as the Visitor Centre storerooms. To download the Camp map click here.

Sculptures
The LIGHTHOUSE: A small replica of the famous lighthouse which stands at the entrance to the Straits of Messina.
The WOLF: According to legend, the twin founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus had been found by a she-wolf who suckled them after they had been left to die. A shepherd and his wife then fostered them and raised them to manhood as shepherds. When told of their true identities, they killed Amulius, their maternal grandfather's brother and restored their grandfather to his throne. After the restoration of their grandfather, the twins decided to found a new city. According to Varro, the city's founding took place on 21 April 753 BC.
These are located within the Shrine building.

The Hidden Valley

A History of the Harvey Valley before the Harvey Dam

This records the story of three historic homesteads - Nicklup, Jardup and Glentana. The houses and surrounding farmland were inundated by water when a new Harvey Dam was built on the Harvey River in 2000-2002 as part of the Stirling-Harvey Redevelopment Scheme. The original Harvey Weir, built in 1916 and raised in 1931, was also inundated by the new dam. The history of the weir and the first irrigation scheme is also recorded here. The Water Corporation is committed to preserving the heritage of Western Australia, and provided a display to record the story of these places and their contribution to the history of the Harvey district.

Nicklup Homestead c 1860

William Clarke, son of Ephraim Clarke of Jardup, established Nicklup in the early 1860s. Like other early settlers, he built the homestead with materials available on site – Jarrah framing clad with dressed Jarrah slabs, lined with clay plugging. The roof, probably originally thatched, was later replaced with corrugated iron. Also like other settlers, finding that the land was not entirely suitable for sheep, Clarke diversified into cattle, produce gardens and fruit trees. In 1887, Nicklup was sold to James Taylor, a contractor from Victoria who was working in Harvey. Taylor returned to Victoria for his wife and their six children. The family travelled to Bunbury by sea, and built a dray to carry their goods over land to Nicklup. Six more children were born at Nicklup, and the entire family lived in the original cottage built by William Clarke.

The Taylors were enterprising farmers. They established a large orchard and vegetable garden, growing apples, pears, plums, oranges, lemons, figs, olives, loquats, persimmons and mandarins. They also produced wine from their 10-acre vineyard. The farm supplied fresh produce to railway gangs working on the South West Railway in the 1890s, and the timber workers at Mornington Timber Mill in the 1900s. In the early 1930s Bert Taylor benefited from the expanded irrigation scheme by purchasing land for irrigated pasture for summer grazing. This made his dairy farm even more productive. During the Depression the Nicklup dairy was able to supply fresh milk to the Sustenance Employment project workers, as well as the usual twice-daily deliveries to the Harvey Milk Factory.

Jardup Homestead c1890

Jardup settled in 1859 and was one of the earliest farming properties developed in Harvey. Its earliest history linked with two well - known Harvey pioneering families the Clarke’s and the Suttons. Ephraim Clarke arrived in the Harvey district in 1841, with his wife Sarah, and three children. Their first house, Hampden, was located on the coast road. Ephraim Clarke ran an inn and was later overseer at the Bunbury Convict Depot. In 1856, Ephraim bought 10 acres of land on the Harvey River. He left his son in charge of Hampden and moved the rest of the family to Jardup in 1859.

Clarke leased thousands of acres from the Crown to graze sheep and cattle, while also developing his home lot. The first cottage built at Jardup for Ephraim and his family was demolished, but remnants of fruit trees and domestic plants survived as evidence of its existence.

Ephraim Clarke retired in 1890, selling Jardup to William Sutton. Sutton and his wife Florence built a new house on the property and this was the homestead inundated by the new Harvey Dam. It was a modest cottage, constructed of hand-made clay bricks, which was subsequently lime wash. The original roof was timber shingles, which were later covered by sheets of corrugated iron. The house had four rooms with lathe and plaster ceilings, timber skirting and door frames and brick fireplaces with plain timber surrounds. The windows were eight-pane, casement sashes. The front of the house had a shady front verandah.

European Heritage

Jardup and Nicklup homesteads were located in an area below the waterline of the new Harvey Dam. The homesteads had heritage value to the local community as some of the earliest in the Harvey agricultural district. The Water Corporation, in consultation with the Heritage Council of WA, the Shire of Harvey and the Harvey Historical Society, developed a Heritage Management Plan that incorporated cultural heritage assessments and archival photographic recording before inundation.
 

Glentana homestead had potential for conservation and restoration. It was purchased from the Water Corporation and relocated. Some unique and interesting buildings materials from Nicklup and Jardup were salvaged and preserved for display in the Water Corporation funded extension to the tourist precinct.

Glentana Homestead 1906

Unlike the modest homesteads of Nicklup and Jardup, Glentana was a substantial Victorian-Georgian style home. It was a timber framed building with weatherboard external cladding and a galvanized iron roof. A curved flight of steps led to the front door and a verandah surrounded the entire house. Projecting bay windows were located either side of the front door.

Inside, Glentana had a central hall and seven main rooms. There were pressed metal wall lining's and 4.5m high pressed metal ceiling's, with ornate cornices and ceiling roses. Every room featured a carved Jarrah fire place surround. The style and size of the homestead illustrated the general increasing prosperity in Western Australia by the 1890's, assisted in the Harvey District by the construction of the Perth to Bunbury railway in 1893.

Joseph Thomson built Glentana in 1906. He was an importer of piano's and sewing machines, with premises in Bairds Arcade, Perth. Thomson sold Glentana seven years later. In that time he established a garden and orchards. It was estimated that when the new Harvey Dam was built, Glentana homestead would be metres from the water's edge. A buyer was found for the property, and the building was to be relocated. Intentions are to restore the homestead to ensure that a tangible reminder of one of the most elaborate houses in Harvey dating from the early 1900's remains. Glentana is still in storage to this date.

Taylors

The family of Robert and Elizabeth Taylor and their two surviving sons, Robert and James, sailed from Deptford, England in the sailing ship 'Sacramento' on 25.12.1852 and the ship was wrecked on Point Lonsdale, Victoria on 26.4.1853. Records show the family to be numbers 131, 132, 133 and 134 on the passenger list and a note says only seven passengers died during the voyage. The record also lists Robert as a labourer and say he and his wife were able to read. The family having lost almost all their possessions in the wreck, left the ship of their own accord and moved to accommodation in Collingwood, Victoria on 12.5.1853.

James married Isabella in a Methodist Church ceremony at Teminick (Isabella's country town) on 10.4.1876. He ventured to Harvey in Western Australia about 1886 or 1887 and worked at contract clearing for future farming and orange growing. Whilst in Harvey he arranged to purchase 'Nicklup' from William James Clarke. This meant he had to return to Teminick to wind up his affairs, collect his goods and chattels and family and return to the West.

They disembarked at Bunbury late in 1889 and before heading for Nicklup, had to have a dray made to carry their worldly possessions. On the way to Harvey they reached the Brunswick River which was in flood. A tropical Cyclone had come down the coast, dropping much rain and causing a summer flood. A Mrs. Sharp, nearby, offered the family shelter in a shed until the flood water receded. There being no roads or bridges at that time, they had to ford the river. As a result of delay whilst the dray was built and the holdup at Brunswick River, the family spent that Christmas Day on the south bank of the river and reached Nicklup just before New Year's Day 1890.

Upon arrival at Nicklup they found Clarkes still in residence and consequently had to arrange temporary shelter until the house became vacant. Nicklup, at that time was the original homestead with almost no land cleared so James and his older sons has to set to, clearing land to get their farming ventures under way. The absence of mechanical facilities at that time meant that any progress was achieved with horse and man power only. From the beginning, the main objective was to clear land for growing oats to make chaff. The big mouse and rat proof shed, built by the family in early times, remains as a notable landmark. It was built for storage of chaff; sale of the produce became the source of income which got the Taylor family farming venture off the ground.

As progress was achieved the family established a vegetable garden and an orchard with remarkable variety of fruit; i.e. apples, pears, plums, oranges, lemons, citrons, pomellos, persimmons, mandarins, figs, grapes, loquats and olives. Further progress saw the introduction of a variety of poultry and milking cows and prior to 1900 the family was producing wine from a ten acre vineyard and the wine together with fruit and vegetables and chaff was readily marketable at Mornington Timber Mill which was only six miles through the bush and at that time had a timber milling population of about two thousand people.

Logue Brook Dam / Lake Brockman

This picturesque dam is the perfect escape for the family to relax and enjoy the fresh water of Lake Brockman. Between 40,000 and 60,000 people visit the dam each year for recreational use such as skiing, boating, rowing, camping, hiking, fishing and bird watching.

To enable the Water Corporation to convert Logue Brook Dam - Lake Brockman into drinking water, as of 1st May 2008, Lake Brockman was closed to recreational users by Premier Alan Carpenter and John Kobelke (Dept of Sport & Recreation) to supply the minimal amount of five gigalitres of water to the Government's annual requirement of 470 gigalitres, its closure to users seemed to be unnecessary. Recreational users were denied use of a popular family watercourse for the sake of five gigalitres. The 5.3 billion litres of water expected from Logue Brook was the final stage of a water trade between Harvey Water and the Water Corporation.

In January 2008 Mr. Murray Cowper and Logue Brook Water Ski Club president Charlie Odorisio organised a dam awareness day at the dam, which saw more than 500 people turn out for the event. March 2008 had more than 120 people march to State Parliament to voice their objections and to hand over a petition with more than 2500 signatures. Dam users fought hard to keep the dam open but it fell on deaf ears.

Lake Brockman Tourist Park owner at the time, Bob Brown's business suffered tremendously due to the publicity leading up to the closure. Campers heard about the expectant closure on the media and stopped using it. This was over a three year process which had a huge impact on his business.

The State Government provided an initiative for alternative recreation opportunities to compensate for the closure of Logue Brook Dam. A Trust Fund of $10m was provided to enable a variety of recreational pursuits relating to waterways in the area. This funding was never used because outspoken MLA Murray Cowper revealed on the 19 November 2008, Logue Brook was set to reopen for recreation on December 1st 2008. WA Recreation Sport Tourism Alliance Mike Wood called on the State Government to change dual use policy. Premier Colin Barnett fulfilled his promise to allow recreation at Logue Brook Dam - Lake Brockman on Dec 1 2008. Due to the decreased rain fall and water shortage the Water Corporation may prevent skiing on the dam for a short period until the water level is safe for such activities as skiing related sports.

The Harvey River Diversion and Drainage Scheme

In 1931, when the Depression was hurting so many, one of the biggest community employment programs imaginable began in Harvey. This was a Government sponsored plan to divert the Harvey River aimed at relieving some 16 square miles from dangers of damage by storm water flooding. Year after year, storm water from the adjoining hills in the Darling Range rushed in a turbulent stream down the Harvey River, flooding their way to the estuary at Mandurah, some 40 miles to the north. The Harvey River was diverted to an outlet at the ocean near Myalup, which removed the fear of flooding downstream and brought much valuable agriculture land into production. No less than 2,500 men were employed and camped on the works at one time at Myalup and nearby Stonehouse.

From Harvey, the Diversion followed the course of the Wokalup River for about three miles before turning westward to the sea. The old Myalup mill was the first camp site for the project. A large clearing was made to make room for 500 tents, which housed two men per tent. The area of ten streets populated 1000 men. The first 100 men arrived at the end of October 1931 and by early November, 500 men were busy with 500 wheelbarrows, together with planks and shovels. Each man was given a billy can, a mug, plate, frying pan, kerosene tin, blanket and a bed made out of hessian stretched across a wooden frame. These items were deducted from their first pay.

The work was physically demanding as the west end of the Diversion Drain was dug with shovels and the sand removed in wheelbarrows (5 shovel loads only). Nearer to Harvey, a mechanical drag line was used in the heavier clay soil. The work was done by rostering the men; to make work for other men, they only worked two days a week for a "sustenance" wage. Tents were hired to the men for about a shilling a week (10c) and they brought their own food, cooking it on individual camp fires. With their food costs at about one pound fifteen shillings ($3.50 approx) it left between then ($1) and fifteen ($1.50) shillings for the worker.

Some of the single men lived in a very rough way. With so much idle time, a few went fishing to augment their diet and to save money, but many joined in the constant gambling (two-up and cards) which flourished at the camps.

Though working under difficult conditions, the plan proposed by the Public Works Department could not be varied and had to stay within a very limited budget, No extra concessions could be made to the men, nor extra days of work given. The money for the scheme had been wrung out of a reluctant Federal Government and in the depths of the Depression - no more was forthcoming. Jack Scadden, the then Minister for Unemployment was under great pressure from all sides. Heavy immigration from the United Kingdom in the 1920s and the collapse of many farming ventures had made thousands of men unemployed. The Harvey River Diversion and Drainage Scheme was only one of the public works begun by the government to help these unemployed men.

In 1931 men were clearing the site for the Canning Reservoir and building a road for it. This became the main catchment area for the metropolitan water supply. Many men were employed to repair and maintain the Goldfields Water Supply main, while works on the Waroona Dam (1931) and the Harvey River Diversion (1930) were going on in the South West.

Most men were employed by the Diversion Scheme than on any of the other works, The completion of all these works in the Waroona, Harvey and Collie districts enabled irrigation to be extended and more land brought into production by being drained in winter and watered in summer. Dairying expanded after the 1930's until it was estimated that these irrigation schemes served an area of approximately 76,000 acres.

When these employment schemes began, it was estimated that one third of the States breadwinners were out of work and quite a lot of the rest had only part time work. The official figures show 11% unemployment in 1929 with a rise to 30% by the second quarter of 1932. Through the years 1931, 1932 and 1933 most of the State Budget went to public works for the unemployment. By spending the money on water supplies the whole of Western Australia benefited - the Goldfields, the South West and the metropolitan area.

A memorial to the thousands of men who worked on the Harvey River Diversion and Drainage Scheme has been placed in Stirling Park at Harvey, beside the Diversion on which they laboured.

Sustenance Employment at Harvey

Thousands of men were out of work during the Depression in Western Australia. The Government initiated special public works projects, mainly in the South West, employing thousands of men on a sustenance allowance. The reduced wages made these projects affordable, the presence of the workers to the South West stimulated the local economy and the sustenance allowance supported many families during the 1930s. One of the Sustenance Employment programs was the Harvey River Diversion Project. It comprised a huge channel that, when completed, would divert winter floodwaters from the Harvey River to the Ocean at Myalup. The work took more than a year, with excavations finishing in December 1932. The watercourse opened in mid 1933. The Camp at Myalup accommodated thousands of men who worked a few days a week in return for sustenance allowance. The Official Opening of the Harvey River Diversion was 12 August 1935, by the Lieutenant Governor Sir James Mitchell. The occasion was celebrated as 'HARVEY DAY'.

The Harvey Weir

Regulating Water Supplies

The 1901 Drainage Act dealt with winter flooding of the Harvey flats. Channels were dug to connect with enlarged drainage channels on the Harvey and Wellesley Rivers. This significantly increased land available for cultivation of citrus orchards, but it was no use regulating water supply in winter and not summer. The people of Harvey began to campaign for an irrigation scheme. In 1910, President of the Harvey Citrus Society, Frank Becher, attended a Citrus Growers’ Conference in Melbourne where he met the Minister for Agriculture, James Mitchell. As a result of this fortunate meeting, Becher was asked to report on the Mildura irrigation scheme in Victoria, and examine the possibilities for a similar project at Harvey.

In 1911, the government appointed surveyor, Roy Eckersley, to examine all the rivers from Serpentine to Collie. He conducted tests on water capacity and speed of flow, searching for possible dam sites. He pegged out three sites on the Harvey River. The Rights in Water and Irrigation Act was passed in Parliament in 1914 to enable work to proceed on a site called ‘Harvey Irrigation No.1.’

Raising the Weir Wall 1931-32

Also in 1931-32 the Harvey Weir wall was raised from its original 12m to 18m, increasing the storage capacity to 2,275 million gallons [10,342 million litres]. The new weir was opened in 1933 by Premier Sir James Mitchell Minister for Agriculture when the weir was first built in 1916.

Irrigation

In the South West of WA, irrigation by Government dates from 1906 when Sir James Mitchell, as Minister for Agriculture, conceived the idea of installing an irrigation scheme on the new State Dairy Farm at Brunswick, 16 hectares of land comprising river flats and high land.

In 1906 there were only 8 farmers known to be irrigating in the State, but by 1914 the number increased to 300. The success of small private irrigation stimulated moves for larger schemes. Indeed, the first irrigation scheme was constructed in 1915 to 1916 to serve 1,350 hectares of land in the central Harvey area. A unique feature of the area was that drains were constructed first to reduce winter water-logging. Irrigation supply channels were constructed later.

As years progressed, the steady increase in demand for water saw as acute shortage by 1929, after which construction of a series of dams to feed irrigation districts took place. By 1932 the Harvey Weir was built and just a year before, the Drakesbrook Weir was completed near Waroona. In order to supply the Brunswick-Dardanup area (known as the Collie River Irrigation District) Wellington Dam was completed in 1933. Significant construction, for example the Harvey Diversion Dam, was carried out during the depression years.

In 1941 an earth and rock fill dam was built across Samson Brook and in 1948 Stirling Dam was built across the Harvey River. Further augmentation of supply to the Harvey District occurred in 1963 with completion of Logue Brook Dam - followed by the Waroona Dam in 1966.

Water was available to local farmers in the summer of 1915-16. Water flowed from the main weir along the river, and was diverted at the intercepting weir into the main irrigation channel. It was then delivered via gravity through five open channels to the highest point of each settlement block. From here, distribution of water to the orchards was the responsibility of the landowner.

James Stirling and "The Harvey".

What is now known as Harvey was named Korjiekup by James (later Admiral Sir James) Stirling or "The Harvey".

As it does seem likely that Harvey Town was named for Dr Harvey who, in 1885 bought estate on the Harvey River with some partners,this cannot be so, because the name was printed on an official map published by Arrowsmith in London in 1833. The manuscript of the map was taken to London in 1832 by none other than Stirling himself.The 1833 map showed the few miles of the Harvey River so named, above its outfall into the southern arm of the Peel Inlet.

When Stirling first "came to the Coraigeca", he wrote as though he was familiar with the name, but there is no evidence to support this.Seventy and Whittell in their book Birds of Western Australia, tell us that Korridg-e-cup was the name given by the Harvey Aborigines to the red tailed black cockatoo.Coraigeca became Corajecup, thjen Korijekup.

It is quite reasonable to assume that Stirling selected the name "Harvey" after the person that Stirling had remembered with great respect. This being, Admiral Sir John Harvey of the West Indian Station of the Royal Navy whom Stirling has served with in 1817.

In 1837, Stirling selected 12,800 acres known as Wellington Location 50A in the Harvey River District. A hunting lodge on the bank of the Harvey River was erected in 1849/1850 about a mile east of the present townsite. This was known as "The Hut". Stirling's manager, Thomas Chapman built "The Hut" and he and his family lived there until 1859. One of the features of the building was the wooden hexangonal blocks set into the floor. Later, the famous Australian children's author, May Gibbs and her family lived there in 1885 & 1886. By then, after extensions by Mr Thompson Logue, it became known as "The Homestead". A photo of The Homestead can be seen inside the replica of Stirling Cottage, situated at the Harvey Tourist Precinct. Stirling never did see "The Hut" as he had by then returned to England.

 

 

History of Australind

Australind was the site of an ambitious but unsuccessful land settlement scheme in the 1840s, when the London-based Western Australia Company planned to settle a large number of pioneers who would breed horses specifically for shipping to the Indian Army. The first settlers arrived in 1841 and by the end of 1842 the total had reached 440 people. Unfortunately, the scheme soon collapsed due to financial problems and the unsuitability of the sandy soil for agriculture. Many of the original settlers left, mostly moving elsewhere in the district. A monument to those hardy pioneers stands in the reserve on the shore of the Leschenault Inlet. The original name of Port Leschenault was changed by the promoters of the early settlement scheme to Australind, a name combining ‘Australia’ and ‘India’.

The West Australian Company was formed in London in 1840 to promote a Land settlement in Western Australia under the Wakefield System. This prescribed that land in the colonies should not be granted but sold at a reasonable price and the proceeds used to bring labourers and migrants to the colonies. The Company purchased 165,000 acres from Colonel Latour and Sir James Stirling in the Leschenault region and set out to find investors/settlers.

The "Island Queen" in 1840 was the first ship to arrive at Australind with a party of surveyors to mark out the townsite and rural allotments. In the meantime in England, hearsay reports regarding the land, had the company in turmoil and the directors decided to abandon the scheme and re-locate to Port Grey (now Geraldton)

Marshall Waller Clifton, Chief Commissioner for the scheme, left London with 93 passengers on board the "Parkfield" with the intent of collecting the surveyors and head for Port Grey. The surveyors had not yet received any dispatches regarding the change of location. After much discussion with Governor Hutt, Marshall and Pearce Clifton and the Government Surveyor it was decided to proceed with the original scheme.

The following two years saw more settlers arrive to take up land but by 1843 the Company was no longer financial and operations ceased. Many settlers left the area and the few that remained took up abandoned blocks and laid the foundations of the rural settlement.

Many of the early settlers originated from the failed land settlement scheme at nearby Australind. In 1893 they formed the Brunswick Farmers’ Association, which was instrumental in having the town site surveyed and declared in 1902 and in establishing many public facilities. Now known as the Brunswick Progress Association, it still plays an active role in the town’s development. The town was named after the Brunswick River on which the town is situated. The river was named after an English Duke from the 1800's.
Today you can see that the hopes and dreams of those early pioneers have finally come to fruition.

Australind Heritage Trail

The name Australind was coined by its founders, the Western Australian Company, from a contraction of Australia and India.

1. Henton Cottage- Paris Rd
Opposite Saint Nicholas Church is of historic interest. Built in 1841 by William Dacres Williams as the "Prince of Wales Hotel". Its Original two rooms came from England as a prefabricated building. Heritage Roses that add to its appeal surround the gardens. Henton Cottage now houses a Tourist Information Centre, arts crafts and collectable antiques.

2. St Nicholas Church- Paris Rd
An interesting reminder of the early days is the historic Church of St Nicholas opposite Henton Cottage. Built by James Narroway circa 1840's as a residence then converted to a Congregational Chapel before 1860. In 1914, the Congregational Church leased the chapel to the Church of England. In 1915, The Church of England bought the church and named it the Church of Saint Nicholas. It was dedicated by Bishop Goldsmith on 22 December 1915. Made of Jarrah and measuring only 3.8 × 6.7m, it claims the distinction of being the smallest church in Western Australia. Built as a workman’s hut in 1840, it was the only building then available for settlers to use as a place of worship. The hut was converted into a church eight years later by John Allnut, whose home can be seen nearby.

3. Upton House- Upton Pl
Built in 1844/5 for Mrs. Elizabeth Fry by Pearce Clifton. The name "Upton House" came from Mrs Fry's home in Upton Lane in East London. The original building bricks are believed to have been cargo or ballast on the "Trusty" during her second voyage to Australind in 1844.
Private residence. (not open to the public)

4. Memorial Seat- Old Coast Rd
Situated on the site of the landing of the first settlers. A plaque showing the original town plan and memorial to early pioneer's and ships.

5. Pioneer Park - Opposite Memorial Seat
First planted circa 1843 by Lucy, Rachel and Caroline Clifton. Two of the three peppermint trees still stand plus a fig tree brought from Tenerife Island in 1841

6. Cathedral Avenue- Scenic Drive 3.4 km
This was the original Old Coast road. Although the road has been altered in parts, the paperbark trees can still be admired arching over the road in a cathedral like manner.

7. John Boyle O'Reilly- Buffalo Rd- 11.6km Buffalo Road - 11.6 km.
In 1803 Lieutenant de Freycinet on board the ‘Casuarina’ sighted a rocky point which was part of what is known now as Koombana Bay. On entering the Bay he discovered an inlet which he named ‘Leschenault’ after the expedition's botanist. John Boyle O'Reilly was one of 62 Irish Political prisoners among 279 convicts who arrived at Fremantle in 1868. He was a member of the Fenian Movement, an organisation dedicated to achieving an independent Irish Republic. O’Reilly escaped from this area whilst working as a member of a convict road crew near Bunbury. He hid in the dense peppermint woodland with the help of a local family. O’Reilly made his escape aboard an American Whaler, the ‘Gazelle’ on 3 March 1869. After settling in Boston he assisted 6 Fenian political prisoners in their escape from Fremantle Prison aboard the ‘Catalpa’. He became a well known humanitarian, poet, writer and orator. A granite monument erected to O’Reilly stands at the northern entry to the Leschenault Peninsular Park.

Following European Settlement the Peninsular was mostly used for stock grazing. In 1838 Thomas Little purchased 741.4 hectares on Leschenault Peninsula on behalf of Charles Prinsep, and named the homestead Belvidere in honour of the Prinsep mansion in Calcutta. Little managed the property to raise horses and cattle for the Indian Army. In the late 1960s and throughout the 1970s, Belvidere became a commune for alternative lifestyler's, with up to 14 houses. A granite monument to; John Boyle O'Reilly, Irishman, soldier, convict, poet, author and lecturer.

John Boyle O'Reilly Wetland Trail - Leschenault Peninsula Conservation Park
Length: 1km return - Surface: Bitumen and Boardwalk - Difficultly: Easy - Users: Walkers, Prams, Wheelchairs - Facilities: Information Shelter, Tables, Toilets.
Learn more about the plants and animals of this park as you meander through tuart, peppermint and paperbark trees. At the information shelter, discover how the Irish convict John Boyle O'Reilly made his daring escape into the bush here from a ship named the Gazelle in 1869.

8. Australind Cemetery- Old Coast Rd - 2.2km
Old Coast Road - 2.2 kms. Situated on the crest of a limestone hill, the first burial took place on the 13th March 1842, that of Dr Anthony French Carpenter, Medical Officer on board the Barque "Parkfield".

OTHER HISTORICAL PLAQUES

Benjamin & James Piggott - near Shire Office in front of Library, early pioneers.
Australind State School - 1.4 km Cathedral/ Scenic Drive
Catholic Church Site- Circa 1870- 1970 2.4km Cathedral Scenic Drive
Parkfield School - 10 km - Buffalo Road, just past the stand of trees.

Brunswick Junction

Many of the early settlers originated from the failed land settlement scheme at nearby Australind.
In 1893 they formed the Brunswick Farmers’ Association, which was instrumental in having the town site surveyed and declared in 1902 and in establishing many public facilities. Now known as the Brunswick Progress Association, it still plays an active role in the town’s development. The town was named after the Brunswick River on which the town is situated. The river was named after the Duke of Brunswick.

Brunswick Cow Statue - Daisy
The Friesian Cow is situated on the corner o fthe main street in Brunswick and was built by the local lions club as a tribute to the dairy industry. Cow On The Corner - Daisy has now become the town's mascot. She was officially unveiled by Tom Pearson and arrived on the 11th of July 1973. Produced by Mrs. Netti May-Smith, Daisy is 2m in length and 1.530m high, standing 1.2m off the ground. Daisy is made of concrete with steel rods re-enforcing through her.

Alverstoke - Heritage & Function Centre
Situated on Clifton Road, Brunswick Junction. An allotment of land on the banks of the Brunswick River was purchased in 1841 by Marshall Waller Clifton, who named the property after his birthplace in Hampshire, England. The first farm in the district, Alverstoke has been tended by the Clifton family now for six generations.

Historic buildings include an original cottage and barn (c.1840s), stables, saddle room and dairy (c.1875), the homestead (1886) and the Clifton School (c.1921), Olive and Pear trees planted on the property in 1844 continue to bear fruit to this day. Alverstoke is a historic farm hamlet that is now open as a venue for corporate and private functions in a tranquil country setting is steeped in history.

An extensive collection of vintage farm machinery, tools and memorabilia is housed in various outbuildings around the farm. The school contains a display of many treasured artifacts common to schools of its time. The historic barn setting is rich with agricultural charm with wide wooden verandah surrounded by 2 acres of grassed areas.

Alverstoke is also home to a collection of over 200 heritage roses including Bourbon, Gallica, Tea, Portland and Rugosa varieties. Several Clydesdale horses, as well as other farmyard and native animals.
If you are planning a visit, bookings are essential: Call John or Mary Clifton on 08 9726 1073.

White Rocks Farm (Brunswick)
South Western Highway, Benger.
A working dairy. (08) 9726 1085 - Entry Fee
White Rocks Museum and Dairy is teeming with history. Founded in 1887 by John Partridge, it is now run by the fourth generation of the Partridge family. Visit the museum depicting pioneering days and see the collection of horse-drawn farm machinery and old dairy equipment. The Dairy is an example of the latest industry technology — a 50-stand rotary dairy with computerized feeding. Please phone to book your visit.

History of Yarloop

Rediscover the age of steam and timber as you step back in time at this perfectly preserved country town. Reminisce about an earlier age when the local general store was the place to meet and the air pulsated with industrial toil. Yarloop was established in the late 1800s as a timber milling town and became the centre of a thriving timber industry, following the construction of the South West Railway which began in 1893. The accessibility of shipping from the ports of Bunbury and Fremantle let to vast quantities of timber being shipped overseas, with many millions of dollars of jarrah being exported to most areas of the world.

By the early 1900s, Millers Timber and Trading Company virtually owned the town as the major local employer and landowner. The company set up engineering workshops to service the needs of logging mill towns in the surrounding forests. At the town’s peak, the workshops employed approximately 500 men. The old historic engineering workshops that spanned the steam and horse-drawn era are being restored. Conducted group tours are available by arrangement on "Live Steam Days" only.

The original mills were built far out in the Jarrah Forests and Yarloop originated from the "Yard Loop' from the Wagerup siding, where the town was started by Millar's Timber Company in the 1890's when the wood was but out in the Darling Rangers around the Kelmscott - Roleystone - Kalamunda area. A considerable number of their employees transferred to Yarloop, where many families still have connection with the Darling Range Towns.

The timber that was produced from the mills was transported on a complex system of railways through the bush. It is of interest that the original tracks were selected by local farmer and timber cutter, the late Mr. Don Eastcott. When Millar's obtained the service of a surveyor and railway expert from England, the tracks were found to be almost perfectly laid out for grades and construction. This Railway system became the largely privately owned railroad in the world, and finally closed in 1956 through the last locomotive was used in the Yarloop yard until 1975 when the boiler finally wore out. It has now been fully reconstructed, and there are many old buildings still remain: for example, the original timber workers houses, the old railway workshops, Millar's yards and the old bakery.

Many workers at the yard which was then the largest timber yard in the Southern Hemisphere began to successfully farm around Yarloop. The Coming if irrigation led to many thriving dairy farms in the area. Timber milling actually began in Yarloop with building of an electrically operated mill in 1962. The workforce for this mill came from men who had worked at Nanga Brook, until they were burnt out in the Dwellingup Fire Disaster on the 23rd of February 1961: Hoffman Mill which closed on the 21st of December 1961: and Mornington Mill which closed on the 28th of June 1966. The Yarloop mill, known as Gunns at the time closed on 15th December 2008.

Road trucks now bring the un-sawn logs in from the bush, mechanical log loading and chainsaw falling have made the work much easier and speedier.

Yarloop, population 874, has been registered as a conservation area and is deemed a historic precinct by the local council. Stroll through streets lined with historic timber workers’ cottages and enjoy the close-knit community feel. Yarloop is located 125kms south of Perth on the South Western Highway and is serviced daily by the Australind train from Perth and Bunbury.

Yarloop Heritage Trail

1. Replica Store - Railway Parade
The present building was constructed in 1987/88 by the Yarloop Workshops Restoration Committee and is a faithful external reproduction of the store that was on this site for many years. Photographs of the original building can be seen in the display in the Yarloop Workshops. The original building was constructed in the 1980s as the Works Manager's house and converted to a store approximately 20 years later.

2. Mill Cottages - McDowell Street
These cottages are typically of those built throughout the South West at the peak of Western Australia's timber industry. With the exception of number 165, which is only about 50 years old, all the timber cottages in McDowell Street were constructed in the 1890s for mill workers.

3. Old Wooden Pub - McDowell Street
Constructed in 1903/04, the Old Wooden Pub (also known at one time as the Palace Hotel) was the first hotel in Yarloop. The section that remains (now a private home) was the residential part of the hotel. The bar area was attached to the remaining structures by a passage way and stood on the land opposite the reserve. The pub also included a billiard room attached to the north side between the bar area and Post Office. The Old Wooden Pub was directly linked to the railway station by a wooden bridge and was the scene of an ant prohibition rally in 1926.

4. Old Mill Post Office - McDowell Street
The Post Office was built around 1898 complete with attached residence. Externally it remains essential unaltered except for the addition of a carport. The Post Office was closed in the 1950s and since then the building has been used as a private home.

5. St Joseph's Catholic Church - Johnston Road
The church was designed by Mr. Finlay, built by Mr. Campbell and blessed and opened by Father Donagher on Sunday June 24, 1906. The church celebrated its centenary in 2006.

6. Mill Doctor's Residence - Barrington-Knight Road
Not long after Millar's began operations in Yarloop they built a hospital to treat employees only. They engaged a Dr Lovegrove as the first doctor in the town. He had no right, under the terms of his employment, to practice privately, but could give emergency treatment had to be sought in Bunbury or Perth. This house was built for the Mill Doctor early in the century and has been used as the Doctor's residence ever since.

7. Mill Hospital Group - Barrington-Knight Road
The original hospital built in the 1890s, had an eight bed male dormitory and a small nursing staff. Demand for a service to families resulted in the addition of a female ward and at first Millar's charged all employees a small amount to cover the resultant costs.

After several years Millar's passed the system over a local committee and the provision of medical and hospital care to the people of Yarloop was made possible by contributions of the Timber Mill Agreement Funds. Initially the fund was subsidised by Millar's by rising costs necessitated a government contribution. With the introduction of Medibank, and the resulting need for administrative staff, the fund had to be discontinued and the doctor became a private practitioner with control of the hospital being handed over to a local board.

8. Old Stables Site - School Road
Horses were essential to the Mill in the early days of its operation and the Millar's stables were located on this site.

9. Mill Managers Complex - School Road
These homes were built on the hill possibly during the first decade of the 20th century, They are considerably larger than the workers cottages have higher ceiling and other amenities and are better finished. The building to the right has been the home of the Mill Manager since construction. The cottage in the middle was built to provide suitable accommodation for visitors from Perth to the Mill and the building to the left has been the home of the Assistant Mill Manager since construction.

10. The Huts - Single Men's Quarters - School Road
These single residence huts were built by Millar's in the 1890s for single men working at the Mill. They are still used by people working for Bunning's and in recent years were re-named 'Happy Valley', presumably because no women were allowed to reside there.

11. Mill Cottages - School Road
These timber workers cottages are the only ones that remain from what was once a densely populated housing area. Remains of many of these houses and their gardens can be seen on the left behind the Anglican Church. Just east of these cottages is the Yarloop School complex, marked by the large pines near the old School site, and the schoolmaster's house opposite the pines. The original three-roomed school stood on the site of the car park.

12. All Saints Anglican Church - Railway Parade
Dedicated on All Saints Day 1909 by Bishop Goldsmith, this church was built by Mr. Thomas Jackson, (a licensed lay reader appointed in charge of Yarloop and adjacent timber mills by the Bishop in 1908) assisted by friends and faithful followers. Millar's probably contributed the bulk of timber and materials with the remainder, including the stained glass windows, being donated by members of the local community or purchased through fund raising efforts. The panels in front of the altar were hand carved by Mrs. Wickham, wife of an early farming settler in the district.

Mr. Jackson became Reverend Jackson on Trinity Sunday in November 1910, when the Bishop made him Deacon in charge of Yarloop. Tragically, he died in the church he had built, during a confirmation service on November 20th, 1910. The rectory was probably built at this time. Sadly on 2 June 2006, this historic church along with the Rectory next door, was destroyed by fire. All that remains is the church hall.

13. Mill Boarding House - Railway Parade
Built in the 1890s as the original Mill Boarding House, this construction is virtually unchanged externally with the exception of the two buildings on the south side that are recent additions. Now known as Peg's it was used by Millar's executive staff and visitors from Perth, with all meals and a cleaning service provided.

14. War Memorial - Railway Parade
Designed by Pietro Porcelli, this dressed granite obelisk featuring four carved lions of Augustan marble from the Barossa Valley was erected by local residence and unveiled by Lieutenant Colonel Manning, D.S.O., O.B.E. on Anzac Day 1922. Born in 1872, Porcelli was Western Australia's first local sculptor and completed many fine sculptures of Western Australia's most prominent citizens. The best known of these works are his bust of Sir John Forrest now in Parliament House, the 3.2m statue of C.Y.O' Connor at Fremantle Harbour, and the slightly larger than life bronze figure of Alexander Forrest on the corner of St Georges Terrace and Barrack Street in Perth.

15. Yarloop Mill Workshops - Railway Parade
Situated on the sire of the first, 1895 mill in the Yarloop area, these workshops began operations in 1901 and closed in 1978. Originally housed in the remains of the Old Mill buildings, they were gradually developed until they became the centre of Millar's milling operations in the South West. The Yarloop Steam Workshops houses one of the largest collections of wooden patterns to be found anywhere. Live Steam Days are held at the workshops every second Sunday between March and November.

TOWN NAME MEANINGS
The meaning of town names in the Harvey Shire

HARVEY
Named after Admiral Sir John Harvey by Sir James Stirling.
MYALUP
Aboriginal name, meaning 'place of the Paperbark tree'.
BINNINGUP
Originally 'Bindinup'. Aboriginal name meaning 'place of Bindin'. The Name of a well known local aboriginal 'Bindin'.
WOKALUP
Aboriginal name meaning 'place of the carpet snake'.
BENGER
Aboriginal name for swamp.
BRUNSWICK
JUNCTION
Named after the Duke of Brunswick in England (1830's).
COOKERNUP
Aboriginal name meaning 'place of the swamp hen' Cooki.
YARLOOP
A loop railway line situated in the town, 'yard loop'.
AUSTRALIND
Named so by its founders 'The West Australian Company' from a contraction of Australia and
India (They thought the two places were ideally located for a flourishing trade between them).

Cookernup

Cookernup comes from an Aboriginal word meaning the 'Place of the Swamp Hen Cooki.'

The first white settlers were reported to have settled at Cookernup in 1858. Amongst the first settlers were J. Clark, W. Adams, L.F. Logue, W. Marriot and R.S Meredith. Early homes were built of spilt slabs for walls, Paperbark roofs and calico windows, fire places large enough to roast a whole sheep on the bars with room to spare. The timber railway at Cookernup in 1882 (being the first siding in the area) brought prosperity to the district.

Before 1894 the Wellington Roads Board controlled the Cookernup District. On the 7th of September 1894 Cookernup was officially declared a town - R.N. 209. According to education records Miss S. Mitchell started work on the 22nd of July 1895 with the school officially being open on the 12th of August 1895. Being the first school in the district pupils came from Harvey and Yarloop.

Cookernup's first hall was built by Edward Cook and was officially open on the 24th of May 1896. On the 12th of July 1898 the Cookernup cemetery was opened. By this time there was a Post Office, two general stores, one warehouse, one butcher shop, two surveyors, two mills and a growing number of farmers.

In 1900 the population numbered 300. It was in 1904 that Cookernup church was built. The first citrus industry started in 1909. In 1948 Cookernup's high school students were bused to Harvey High School until the closure of Cookernup Primary School in 1953. In the early 1950's came the advent of electric lights (S.E.C.) During the 1960's came the introduction of bulk milk tankers. On the 6th of March 1983 Cookernup had its first reunion.

Myalup Timber Mill

A privately owned timber mill was built at Myalup about 1922 before the diversion was dug. It was positioned on the south side of the present day diversion (across the river from the cement water tank on Myalup Beach Road). The heavy mill engine was brought from Bunbury by a team of horses. The first night they camped at Springhill then went on to Myalup. Young Ted Handley rode his horse alongside the team of horses to help get the engine to the mill.

The mill site had a mill manager's hut, married men cottages and single men quarters. A well was dug and water pumped out for use. A tramline was laid going north of the mill to bring logs on the tram trucks back to the mill for sawing. An old motor truck then took the cut timber into Harvey to be transported by train. The road from the mill ran north to near the present day Myalup Cottages then eastwards to Harvey. A plank road was made over the low swamp areas from the sand hill towards today's Lawn Cemetery to bring the timber to Harvey. The local farmers also used the Myalup Mill timber to make dwellings, sheds and pens. They mainly used the face cut boards off the side of logs for these constructions.

The Myalup Mill closed down about 1928 but the buildings remained there. In 1931 the old mill became the Myalup Campsite for 1,500 men working on the Government Harvey River Diversion Scheme.

At the Mill Campsite the mill manager's house became the head office for the P.W.D. staff with the back of the house used by the cook who provided meals for the office staff. Three engineers (Punch, Forrest and Park) lived in tents with their wives near the horse yards and 1,500 men camped in tents nearby in a group surrounded by a barbed wire fence to stop animals getting into the tent area. The married men's cottage's at the old mill was used as the first aid post and the mill single men's cottages housed the various shops. There was a butcher's shop, two fruit and vegetable shops, cake shop, the hop beer shop and Jack Lowe's grocery shop.

A big marquee was used as a boarding house for any men who didn't want to cook for themselves. Some men who didn't like the sandy and dusty cramped conditions of the tent area moved into the surrounding bush and made their own bark shelters. These men had pulled big slabs of bark off trees and made little huts with them. The Manning's who lived 1.5 miles south of the campsite sold meat, milk, eggs, honey, fruit and vegetables to the cook and the men in the bush. The tent men bought their food from the shops. All the bread was baked in Harvey and a truck carted bread all day out to the Myalup and Stonehouse campsites to provide bread for 2,500 men and Laurie Jensen delivered the mail.

On pay night the men played Two Up all night outside the barbed wire fence alongside Manning's track and was still playing at daylight. After the camp finished the buildings were sold and taken away. The site is now covered with pine trees.

Heritage Council Database - Harvey

Ash Homestead (fmr) site (12016)
Boarding House (fmr)(1179)
Bundidup Homestead (1202) (Wokalup)
Butter Factory (fmr)(12013)
Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception (fmr)(1183)
Cookernup Cemetery (12005)
Cookernup Flax Mill (fmr)(3170)
Cookernup Post Office (fmr)(1196)
Cookernup Roll of Honour (12861)
Cottage, Bottlebrush Road (7038)
Eckersley Farm (3178)
Falls Brook Homestead (11981)
Forestry Cottage 393 (17477)
Gibbs' House (11990)
Glentana Homestead (11407)
Grieve's Abattoir (fmr) site (12014)
Harvey Cemetery (11982)
Harvey Diversion Drain (11980)
Harvey Fire Station (14517)
Harvey Hills Precinct (3867)
Harvey House (11983)
Harvey Police Station and Courthouse (17337)
Harvey Post Office (fmr)(11992)
Harvey Precinct No 1 (12026
Harvey Precinct No 2 (12027)
Harvey Precinct No 3 (12028)
Harvey Primary School (12001)
Harvey Railway Station Precinct (11994)
Harvey River Bridge (11985)
Harvey Shire Council Chambers & Town Hall (1185)
Harvey Showgrounds (11984)
Harvey War Memorial Library and District Honour Rolls (1182)
Harvey Weir (11986)
Holy Trinity Anglican Church (1197)
House (4273)
Italian Prisoner of War Shrine at Harvey Agricultural High School (3168)
Jardup Homestead (3171)
Knowels Store(fmr)(3756)
Korejikup Hotel (fmr)(1176)
Leschenault Peninsula (17631)
Logue Brook Dam (11988)
Masonic Hall (11989)
McQuade Residence (fmr)(1191)
Memorial Library (3177)
Methodist Church (fmr)(1180)
Milk Depot (3175)
Moreton Bay Fig Tree (3167)
Nicklup Homestead (3172)
Old Bakery, Antique Shop and Cafe (12008)
Old Shop Site (12015)
Old Uduc School Building (3165)
Original and Later Uduc Hall (1199)
PWD Office (1175)
Price Homestead (11993)
RSL Hall and Harvey Sub-Branch RSL Honour Rolls (11996)
Replica of the Hut Homestead (11998)
Rosner's Early Homestead (11995)
Roesner Homestead (11987)
Runnymede and Florries Cottage Group (3757)
Shire Council Chambers (1181)
Shops (1177)
St Pauls Anglican Church(1184)
Stirling Dam (11997)
Stirling Memorial (11999)
Uniting Church, Hall and 2 Manses (15078)
West Australian Bank (fmr)(12000)
Wokalup Tavern (1201)
Wokalup-Mornington Railway (490)